What is Real ID?
- Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission’s recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver’s licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards and prohibits certain federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards. The purposes are:
- Accessing certain federal facilities
- Boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft
- Entering nuclear power plants
Why do you need this to work with us?
- If you are unable to drive or ineligible to drive to a job site; you would need to have compliant documentation to board an aircraft. This will go into effect May 3, 2023
Are you Real ID compliant already?
- Your license or identification would have one of the below five star marks in the upper portion of the document
- If you have this on your document, you’re all set to travel!
- If not, please read more below.
How do you become Real ID compliant?
- Visit your state’s driver’s licensing agency website to find out exactly what documentation is required to obtain a REAL ID. At a minimum, you must provide documentation showing: 1) Full Legal Name; 2) Date of Birth; 3) Social Security Number; 4) Two Proofs of Address of Principal Residence; and 5) Lawful Status.
- States may impose additional requirements, so check with your state’s driver’s licensing agency website, before visiting them in person, for additional guidance and assistance.
What happens if you arrive at a TSA security checkpoint without being Real ID compliant?
- Travelers who do not present a REAL ID-compliant license or acceptable alternative beginning May 3, 2023 will not be permitted through the security checkpoint.
Do you have any other options to travel after the May 3, 2023 deadline if you are not Real ID compliant?
- Yes, there are multiple options including:
- A valid U.S. Passport
- State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
- Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC)
- Please visit https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification for a full list
For state specific information please use the DHS Real ID portion of the website listed as, Are you Real ID ready. You can find the following information there.
- A resource check to verify if you are already able to fly after the May 3, 2023 deadline
- A drop down of states that will connect you to your specific state resources if you are not Real ID compliant
For any additional information please use the DHS Real ID website listed below.